Thursday, May 26, 2016

Healthy Taco Salad Recipe

     I just made this taco salad for my family the other night and they loved it!  The best part?  It's SUPER cheap.  I made this while in school and we had leftovers for the next day or two.
     This recipe served my family of seven comfortably with a small amount left over and we only spent SEVENTEEN dollars at the grocery store.  It costs double that amount for my family to eat fast food.  So not only will this feed you family delicious, healthy food, but will also fit just about anyone's budget.  I hope you try this out for yourselves and love it as much as I do!

Needed ingredients:
  • 2-3 frozen large chicken breasts (or 4-5 small ones)
  • 1 white onion
  • 2 cans of whole kernel corn
  • 2 cans of black beans
  • 2 cans of diced tomatoes with chilis
  • approx. 3 tablespoons of homemade or store bought taco seasoning (post with seasoning recipe coming soon)
  • fresh spinach
What to do:

  1. Thoroughly cook the chicken in a skillet with olive oil. (optional: season chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic salt)
  2. Chop the onion and brown in a large pot with olive oil.
  3. Once browned, turn heat down and slowly heat corn, beans, and tomatoes. (sometimes I add fresh lime juice here)
  4. Mix in taco seasoning.
  5. Once chicken is cooked, shred and add to the large pot.
  6. Serve on top of fresh spinach and top with fresh lime juice, shredded cheese, and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment